Resources and survivor tips for trainers / event organisers
Survival tips for Clever Trainers
1) HOW TO ANSWER A CHALLENGING QUESTION... OR A QUESTION TO WHICH YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER
Because you are a trainer, some people may think you know everything ... The reality is - no one knows all the answers!
One of the quickest and easiest way is confidently to say "I don't know.". However, in a training environment, you can still turn it around and make it a learning opportunity for everyone. It is FUN and everyone loves it even though no one has the answer!
If someone asks a question and you need time to figure out your answer, ask the class! Open it up. Smile, say, “Interesting question. Has anyone experienced this before?” If no-one has, zip it back to the person who asked the question. “What do you think the answer might be?” If nobody supplies anything feasible, keep smiling and say, “I don’t know either,” and offer to find out or say “let’s Google it!”
2) TIPS FOR TEACHING ADULTS AND ESPECIALLY BUSINESS PEOPLE:
Make sure you have their attention before you start
Teaching materials need to have relevance to their work/business
Boost their confidence and help them to succeed
Help them feel satisfied that they attended the training session
Help them to know why it’s important (purpose) and how they can use it (sell the purpose before the content)
Adult like to learn in their own ways
Adults are autonomous and self-directed.
Adults have a foundation of life experiences and knowledge. Encourage participants to share their experiences and knowledge.
3) TRAINING SESSION PLAN (DOWNLOADABLE IN WORD FORMAT - 1 PAGE)
4) CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD TRAINER
A good trainer is someone that
- - Has the ability to "Read the Room" instantly, adjusting their content, presentation, dialect, tone, pace and language to suit the audience
- - Takes time to establish rapport before start teaching.
- - Calls learners by name, if possible
- - Knows their subject matter and is compassionate.
- - Creates an environment that is safe for everyone and encourage their students to ask questions.
- - Is culturally sensitive and receptive to feedback.
- - Discusses how the learning can be applied in real world applications
- - Has good verbal communication: pace, pitch, volume, body language, etc.
- - Respects differences of opinion and life choices.
- - Has many ways of explaining the same thing.
- - Establishes “purpose” for their every interaction.
- - Makes students leave the training impressed with themselves rather than impressed with the trainer.
- - Has the ability to communicate at the level of the audience
- - Has respect for the students, no matter what their background, and for themselves as a professional trainer.
- - Can make the learning experience fun.
- - Has the ability to transform his/her student’s knowledge and imagination
- - Good trainers start and stop on time. Great trainers can manipulate their material as needed so that they are always on time.
5) WHAT MAKES A GOOD TRAINING ROOM AND WHY CLEVER CENTRE IS AN IDEAL TRAINING VENUE?(DOWNLOAD PDF HERE)
|1.Convenient location (public transport, near shopping centre, cafe, etc)
Easy to locate and access
Clever Centre is located in the heart of Corrimal, opposite Stockland. We have a unique lighting tree at the front.
Close by, there are more than 80 shops and 5 cafes.
2.Plenty of parking space
|There are 75 FREE all day parking spots at the back of Clever Centre|
|3.Has a whiteboard||Yes – we do have one|
|4.A clock on the wall....so the trainer can see start and finish times||Yes – we do have one|
|5.Unlimited supplied of cool water||Yes – we have water coolers around the centre and also provide unlimited chilled water on the tables|
|6.Wireless Internet||Yes – We are connected using ADSL 2|
|7.Flexible furnishings and adequate space for the delegates to break into groups||Yes – the room is flexible. Can be set up in many configurations.|
|8.Good sound proofing||Yes – the training room is separate from other facilities such as kitchen, meeting room and reception area.|